Monday, December 12, 2011

at it again

I must go on a rant. I do not and probably will never proclaim myself as a "photographer". That is unless I decide to get my Masters in photography and open my own shop. I don't want to be pinned as one of those people that randomly bought an expensive camera and decided they could take pictures. I actually got my major in advertising (which I photographed a lot of campaign assignments-which is four years worth), and my minor in photography (which included: concept of design, color, digital imaging, studio, history, film, darkroom, portrait, etc...). Just wanted to clarify... moving on...

None the less, I have a wonderful hobby. I really enjoy doing it. I get to work with all types of people. Some of which are incredibly difficult to work with.. don't worry I'm probably not talking about you:) I've only had one session that was difficult and it was one of my very first shoots. Anyways, I have had a lot of families coming out of the woodworks the past couple months and asking me to do their family portraits. I LOVE to do them. I love seeing the families interact with each other. I love making little kids smile, while their parents are so hoping that their little ones are acting their best and smiling their brightest. I love when my husband comes along and holds my reflectors and just observes (while Hallie is strapped to his chest). I love taking my SD card out of the camera and plugging it into my computer. I love looking through all the photos on bridge and finding my very favorites. I love finding pictures that I took while metering when the family isn't paying attention and they have some of the most tender moments (it shows exactly how they feel toward each other at that very second). There are so many things I love I can't even count.

My studio photographer teacher taught me this- people who like art and things related like to create. They like to create because it is one of the few things a human can do that is something closely related to being like Heavenly Father and Christ. They created this world, and with my camera, I create also. I'm glad I read that from my school notes today. Gave me a good boost as I try to figure out what exactly my style is...

Oh and he taught me one other thing, photography is science first, art second. And if you don't understand that... it took me a good 14 weeks to get somewhat comfortable with the inverse square law.

Ok off of why I love to take pictures... I got to take some family pictures a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed taking them and going through them. Awesome family. Love them so much. Here are a couple of my favorites...




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Melissa! Also, I love your new picture in the header. You have such an amazing way of describing words about photography and your love of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THey turned out cute!Those boys are so handsome :) Like the new family picture of you guys too!

    ReplyDelete