Monday, September 24, 2012

Motab, YW, YC....

This weekend Jordan and I (and basically his entire family) went to go see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square perform at the BYU-I Center. I have never seen them perform live before. It was AWESOME. They sang a lot of songs I had never heard before, one of my favorites was a song originated from Africa. They were moving around clapping their hands and playing tambourines and more! When I say Mormon tabernacle choir, that definitely doesn't come to my mind. It was awesome. Plus the 2 blonde ladies that were sitting second row from the top were hilarious. They were fervently into every song they sang. Put a huge smile on my face. My favorite song of the night was "Come, Come Ye Saints." I have been reading the Work & the Glory books, and to hear that song, and have a better perspective as to what the early Saints went through at that time just brought tears to my eyes. It was beautiful. Plus I got to hang out with my husband- Hallie free- all night. That was a cool reminder of the olden days.. haha.

I have also been meaning to write about on the blog about my new calling! I am the Mia Maid Advisor. I have been in for pretty much 3 months now (wow I am really late in posting this) and it has been my favorite calling. It is a huge time commitment, and I feel like I have a ton of responsibilities, but all I have to say is good thing I am not the President. We have an awesome group of girls and they are tons of fun to be around.

We are also piloting a new teaching program right now. I'm not really sure how many stakes are actually involved, but it basically throws the lesson book out the window. It is based more like teaching in the Savior's way. I am absolutely in LOVE with it. I hope they switch the whole church over to it soon because it is by far the best thing I think they have done with teaching since Preach My Gospel. Every single week I teach, I totally end up bawling in front of the girls (which is totally embarrassing) but the girls are so much more into the lessons and it really brings the spirit. I love it because I can basically do whatever I want with a lesson outline. I can take all the information they give me or throw it out the window and find my own. I just wish everyone had it so they knew what I am rambling about.

The last thing I wanted to mention was the Youth Conference that we got to attend with the girls. I am so sad that I am not a youth living in Idaho, because the opportunities they have are amazing. We had a 20 stake youth conference held on the BYU-I campus, and mostly held in the BYU-I center. It was such an amazing experience to see all the strong youth. There were over 5,000 people in attendance including leaders. It was a sight to see. We had Elaine S. Dalton come (best talk I have ever heard), Dale Murphy, and tons of other breakout speakers from the area.

The very best part of the YC was Elder Bednar. They had 4 microphones set up around the "I" center and for 2 hours the youth got to go up and ask him questions. I have been in a small session where people ask questions, but never in a large setting let alone with an Apostle of God. Something that Elder Bednar kept repeating was that the Savior did everything "one by one." He even referred to the scriptures in 3 Nephi 11. I was floored at this point, because I was reading in my scriptures at that exact same place, and it was the first scripture reference that he gave to answer a question. Even though the question had nothing to do with the questions I had in my mind, Elder Bednar, and the spirit answered my questions. It was such a neat experience.

All of this spiritaul bombardment has been happening to me in the past 3 months. It has changed my perspective on things a lot, and has made me look deeper into myself than I ever have. I am grateful for my calling. I love my girls so much it hurts. They are such an amazing example to me, at the age they are. It helps me keep my faith in this hard time in Jordan's and my life. For my non-member friends who have been crazy enough to read this entire post, if you have any questions about anything that I have talked about, please ask. I would love nothing more that to answer your questions.

I love the gospel. I am so grateful for everything that it blesses me with in my life. Without it I would be sorely lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment