Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bite you, Apple!

If you don't already know, I have been trying to write one blog post a week for the entire year. Well I am falling a little behind. Not because I haven't wanted to, but because my computer, of course, has been broken. Well sort of.

My charger has been acting wacky for weeks. I knew that it was about to be kaput. And one day, I go to use my computer and bam- can't turn it on because it is totally dead. I was kinda wondering if my battery inside my computer was also dying. I would charge it forever and it would last maybe 1 hour. I remember my first generation iPod mini doing this when I was a sophomore in high school. I would charge it all night and in the morning I could play exactly 15 seconds of one song. They replaced my mini with a 1st generation Video iPod. For free. The batteries in the minis had a defect (remember this word later, it's important).

Luckily, I don't live anywhere near an Apple store to fix my computer. And even more lucky, I thought I had three years protection on my computer, when I only had two. So to my happy surprise, when I pulled out my files and saw my computer was completely out of warranty, I couldn't help but thank my lucky stars. Catch my sarcasm there?

I look up on the Apple website how much it is going to cost to fix. Jordan has a church calling that requires the computer to be fixed immediately, and he also has a wife that feels naked without her Adobe Suite attached at her hip. Total cost about 250 dollars. This doesn't seem like a lot to some people. Heck I don't care who you are. That is a lot to fix the computer.

I am determined to find out if my battery is dead or just the charger. My Father-in-Law bought a Mac last year, so I borrowed his cord. I am able to charge my computer. Hooray! But too bad the computer is like a person and tells you something is wrong. So my little battery icon tells me that I need to service my battery. I bet you can guess that service actually means replace. Awesome. The full 250 down the drain.

We do have a Simply Mac store, a store that is more like a a copy of Apple that can sell their products but can't have their name. They were able to check my battery and charger to make sure that they were officially dead. Which they were. Awesome.

Here's the real kicker....

The guy helping me looks at my charger and is like, "is this the charger that you had the whole time?" and I'm like, "uh...yes? Why?" And he then goes on to explain that I have a 60 watt charger, for my 15 inch mac, which is totally not enough wattage. He then goes on to explain that because the wattage wasn't enough, it slowly ate away and killed my battery, and possibly some other internal damage. I needed the 85 watt charger for my type of computer.

Not only was it not my fault, it was Apple's manufacturing mistake!!! I took my computer into Best Buy (where my computer was bought) at least FIVE TIMES and asked them to check my charger and battery because whenever I charged my computer it was ON FIRE. They never did anything. And I had to pay for their mistake.

Apple, I am mad at you. You made me pay 250 dollars for YOUR mistake.

Best Buy, I am mad at you because I knew something was wrong and you NEVER DID ANYTHING. Your "Geek" people who have that name because they are supposed to be smart, are complete morons. I had to pay 250 dollars when I never should have.

Well that's the end to my story. I just needed to rant a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment