Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Boise Temple Dedication

Two Sundays ago (the 18th) we had the privilege of watching the Boise Temple Dedication in place of church. The temple went under massive renovation and was recently completed. I think most of Idaho got to watch the broadcast. This doesn't happen very often in an area, or really in a lifetime if you don't live in an area where you are around lots of temples, or there is already one built.

I have been to two dedications, the Nauvoo Temple & the Rexburg Temple, and one open house, the Rexburg Temple. The Nauvoo was broadcast church-wide (if my feeble mind remembers correctly) and I was in my second semester of college when the Rexburg Temple was dedicated. Unless they plan to build another Idaho Falls temple, I probably won't have the chance to see one again until there is a Colorado Springs Temple. One day. One day.

It was very special because President Monson came to dedicate the temple and brought along with him Elder Bednar, one of the 12 Apostles, Elder Walker, in the Presidency of the Seventy, and someone else... who I wish I could remember his name! But I'm pretty sure his job is to work on temples.

The first couple of talks, which were mostly testimonies were so beautiful. Some shared about losing their children, and how the plan of Salvation works. The temple is real, and the sealing of forever is real. We got to hear from the Assistant to the Temple Matron (The Temple President's wife=Temple Matron, 1st Counselor's wife=Assistant to the Temple Matron, etc...I think this is how it goes...), a couple others, and President Monson's Secretary. After the Secretary was done, Elder Walker got up, almost in tears and thanked her for her service to the Prophet. He said her service to the prophet is more a service to the whole church and she will never know how much she has affected the people. It was very cool to hear that, mostly because you never even get to see the background of what happens to make the church run. I didn't even know President Monson had a secretary, but it makes sense doesn't it?

Elder Walker talked about an experience that President Monson had when Spencer W. Kimball was President of the Church. President Monson was visiting South Africa and the people there insisted that he try and get them a temple. He said he would do what he could, after all it is the Prophet's decision. He got back to Salt Lake and read the minutes of the meetings he missed. He saw that President Kimball had decided they were to build a temple in Johannesburg, South Africa. He was so excited an knew the people would be too. After the temple was announced, he said he got telegraphs from people in South Africa saying, Great job Elder Monson! You Got us a temple! He said he would have loved to taken the credit, but it was all President Kimball. The summary of the story... The prophet has final say in each and every temple. Where/When/Who/Why/How. What a responsibility! I love President Monson.

Elder Bednar, I love this man, probably because of my connection to BYU-Idaho, and all the wonderful times that I have been able to hear him speak in person. Which I think is totaling near 5. Crazy! (That doensn't include General Conference at all). He talked about the temple being a house for the Lord, a place where he can reside on the Earth. He talked about Kirtland and related how marvelous it was when we finally had a temple on the Earth again. 

President Monson then spoke, he got right up, pointed at a boy in the room and said, "Right there is a future missionary!" And gave him a goofy look and wiggled his ears. Jordan and I couldn't help but bust up laughing. He has such a personality and loving nature. I can't even remember what he talked about (I started writing this the day after... and now trying to finish it two weeks later.....) but I remember crying, and thinking, this man walks and talks with Christ, but he is meek and humble.

I loved the whole experience, and that I got to experience it with Jordan. I love that families are sealed forever. Which was the main message from the meeting. It strengthens my testimony of family and forever. I get to be with my whole family forever.. wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment