Thursday, February 9, 2012

drab to fab

I have wanted to paint my living room for some time now. Every time I'm in there (which is pretty much all the time) I pretty much want to poke out my eyeballs. I credit this to HGTV. I watch their fabulous redecorating shows (in my living room) and after a show is done I am even more disgusted with the room (maybe a bit dramatic but hey I need you to get the point.. plus any of you that know me.....). I decorated when I was 19 years old (a teenager... crazy) and needless to say, I had no idea what I was doing back then. Jordan and I have had many conversations about redecorating. Our conversations go something like this:

"I hate this room"
"Why?"
"Because it is so freaking ugly"
"I don't think it's that bad"
"Can we at least paint? Please?"
"I guess if you want to...."

Which, the last time we had this conversation I ended it with oh yes I do! And we bought a paint a couple days later. I have had this vision in my mind. All of which included repainting the kitchen, the living room, all the furniture, the table, the chairs, and much more.

When I decided upon this project I thought, oh this will only take a couple days. Man was I wrong. We started painting on a Saturday (just the walls). The kitchen alone took 6 hours. Then we painted the living room. Then every day, after Hallie was asleep in bed, we would head out to the garage and paint all the furniture. It was fun at first, but after a week of doing this it got very old. I made Jordan paint all the chairs and table by himself, partly because I stink at spray painting.

So after painting EVERYTHING, it is finally complete. A couple things still left to hang on the wall, and a couple decorative store trips an we will be finished. I am quite pleased. I wish you all could take a trip and see it in person because the pictures do not do it justice. I love the room now.

These are all our paint choices...

Living room- Fashion Gray
Kitchen-Gem Turquoise
Furniture (bookshelves, TV stand [which we bought on craiglist and it looked like a piece of crap but it was the size and shape that I wanted], end table, mirror)- Left over Gem turquoise paint
Table/Chairs-sun yellow spray paint plus recovering chairs in fabric from Joann's
Frames-all white

And before you scream because these paint options seem very scary and crazy... I was very scared to do it. But... it turned out awesome. Love it to pieces.

Our room was so drab. And now I just think it is FAB!! haha. I guess decide for yourself. But... seriously. Come visit me. SO much cooler in person.

BEFORE:


(see that ugly thing behind the table? That's the TV stand before we painted it... lol) 





AFTER:



(Hallie was watching Mickey Mouse while I took these... But actually watching me...)

I am so happy with how it turned out. And since Jordan and I decided we are living in this basement until we die, it might as well be what we want it to look like.

Oh and don't mind my empty frames.. just waiting for a certain sister of mine to send me a disc or our family pictures...hint hint:)

2 comments:

  1. Wow Melissa, you went so bold! It is quite fun and so happy! I love the pink pillows on the couch...they are so cute! Actually, I love all the colors in the front room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love everything about your home makeover...especially the yellow chairs!

    ReplyDelete