Monday, December 31, 2012

Traditions

I love the Christmas season, because it seems like you celebrate it the whole month. This is the only holiday that I actually decorate for. I love putting up our little tree and putting all our ornaments on it. All the fun activities throughout the month really put you in the mood to be cheery and bright!

This will be Jordan and I's 5th Christmas together. We only have a few traditions so far, but they are ones that I absolutely love!!

First there is the singing house. We have actually done this six times because we were dating the first time that we went. There is this house in Iona (right by Idaho Falls) the synchronizes Christmas music to their lights, therefore it is the singing house. They play seriously the very best Christmas songs, I might be biased because they play all of my favorite songs. The house isn't huge or anything, but the lights are fantastic. Every year we take hot chocolate and watch. We took Hallie last year, but she was asleep and didn't really get to enjoy it, being she was still a wee babe! But this year she had a blast! She was only into it for about 15 minutes, but in toddler time that is like 3-4 hours. She LOVES music, and she sways and dances to it. We gave her a sucker and she was swaying and enjoying the music. She got on my lap and put her face right against the windshield so she could take a closer look, and she would keep looking at me and point at the lights with a huge smile on her face. It was so cute. I love the singing house.


Second tradition would be ornament buying. Every year Jordan and I buy an ornament that has the year on it. Our first Christmas we bought a crystal ornament with "First Christmas Together" 2008. Last year we bought Hallie's "Baby's First Christmas." Every other year are just fun ornaments, but I just love ornaments. I love this tradition, and it always reminds me of a memory from that Christmas. This year we bought a sparkly snowflake, Jordan really had no say, I just thought it was beautiful. It really adds to our tree. One day our tree will be totally filled with ornaments, so adding slowly is ok to me!! 




Third tradition would be to watch Elf. This is my ALL TIME favorite Christmas movie. It is fabulous. I don't care if you hate everything that Will Ferrel has ever been in, if you don't like this movie you are totally a Scrooge. We have watched it twice, and we will have to watch it at least one more time.

Of course we always have to go see Santa Clause. I was nervous this year because Hallie is kind of timid with people she doesn't know. I was so wrong. She did awesome. No screaming at all. I couldn't get a smile out of her, but she sat there. Too bad IF Santa set up is kind of ghetto... and they wouldn't let you take your own pictures, and their camera stopped working so I couldn't even see/buy one... But it's ok because the Santa reminded me of the one in Elf.. he smelled like beef and cheese... and wasn't necessarily jolly. But we did it and that is all that matters. 



This year we have a new tradition, or Jordan's family has decided to have a new tradition. Every year when they were growing up they would go to their Grandma Sautter's house and have food, open gifts, and put on some musical numbers or skits. Well needless to say, that side of Jordan's family is HUGE and there is just not enough room for everyone. This year, since everyone will be scattered everywhere, we are doing a Christmas party at the house so everyone can see each other, open gifts, and all the kids will be doing the Nativity scene. Hallie is going to be an angel. I'll have to post pictures later.

I am just so thankful for the season and the warm feeling that it brings. I'm so glad that Jordan, Hallie, and me get to go to Colorado and spend Christmas with my parents. I am most thankful for the Savior, because he is after all why we celebrate this wonderful time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment